[cvsnt] Re: Mixing :local: and client/server protocols (was: Whenyou gotta....)

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Jun 15 10:21:18 BST 2004

Bo Berglund wrote:

> I didn't realize that the initial checkout actually store the user AND
> password in the CVS/Root files.  I thought that the password was stored
 > in a location in the Registry

That's only if you use the Login command. The CVSROOT you specify on
checkout is always stored literally in ./CVS/Root exactly as you
specified it. However, using Login is no alternative in your case if you
want to run the command as a different user than the one doing the commit...

 > I thought that the password was stored
> in a location in the Registry and since the checkout was done by a real
> user to begin with I had to set this -d parameter to get it to work when
> the update is launched from the postcommit script, since that would run
> in a different context and thus have access to different User hive in
> the registry.
>
> But I just tested and it really stores both user and password so the only
> thing that needs to be done is initially to check out using the correct
> user/password combination to override the Windows login.

Do you really need this to be run from a different user account? Why not
simply let it run under the account that did the commit? That way you
could eliminate username and password info from the CVSROOT completely.
I personally wouldn't feel too good knowing a valid username/password
combination to my CVS server was stored in plain-text on a publicly
accessible web server...

Cheers,

--
Oliver