[cvsnt] Static linking of MFC dlls

Jerzy Kaczorowski jerzyk at wndtabs.com
Tue Jun 15 21:27:24 BST 2004

Tony,

> You end up with a huge executable file, so it doesn't help - the more
> files that use MFC the more the overhead gets.. it doesn't take many
> before it's not worth it.

Since CVSNT is not MFC-intensive and it probably won't be the linker will
trim the size quite a lot.

There are two projects that use MFC. I made a quick check and the math is
currently as follows:
1. cvsagent - 40960B - statically linked: 172032B. Difference: 131072B
2. cvsntcpl - 61952B - statically linked: 222720B. Difference: 160768B

Two differences together: 291840B

Now, two MFC dlls: 1047552B + 1060864B = 2108416B

So, between dynamic and static linking we have 1816576B difference.

That is  nearly 1.8MB more and it would make CVSNT installer half the
current size (and very suitable to include within WinCvs installer,
naturally ;)

Best Regards,
Jerzy