[cvsnt] Re: Connecting from Linux to a Win2k server

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Jun 25 21:41:04 BST 2004

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a cvsnt server installed on a Win2k system, and usually advise my
> users to use the sspi protocol. That works fine as long as they are on a
> Windows machine. But I have two problems with this configuration:
>
> 1- What do I tell Linux users? I also have installed the ssh protocol. Does
> it simply work, so to speak "out of the box"? Or is some other installation
> on the server (ssh client) necessary for that?

There is a SSPI client-only protocol that works under linux, so they can
connect directly with sspi.

SSH server requires an SSH server on the server (sounds redundant...),
which isn't perfect or trivial under Windows.  Search the archives here
(isn't there a wiki page for this yet?).  I've read that OpenSSH is a
good place to start if you want to proceed.

> 2- It seems that clients that run on Win9x systems use non-encrypted
> communication when connecting through sspi. Is there a protocol that's easy
> to install and configure for this platform that's encrypted?

I think sserver will work that way, and AFAIK it's easy to use with
CVSNT.  Win9x systems aren't as secure--but I think you might run into
that trouble with the Linux SSPI client as well???

Note that you can also run CVSNT from a Linux box, which has an SSH
server typically installed by default and works out-of-the-box.

--
Glen Starrett