[cvsnt] 2.0.46 newbie install questions

Ann Lynnworth ann at href.com
Mon Jun 28 12:06:35 BST 2004

Hello!

I'm trying to get CVSNT running on Win2000, with pserver initially, then
sserver.

I haven't found any step-by-step instructions for the recent releases, e.g.
2.0.46.   I have been trying to figure things out using the info at
http://www.devguy.com/fp/cfgmgmt/cvs/cvs_admin_nt.htm and various other
sites, but don't really have a clear picture yet.  So I hope you will allow
me a few questions.  If it really turns out that there are no public docs
on this build, I will help you make some current screen shots and notes
once I find my way.

Question 1.
Is there a reason the examples put the repository root in the root of the
drive? I was thinking more along the lines of d:\AppsData\cvsrepo.

Question 2.
Am I supposed to start with nothing, then make a "repository", then copy in
my files (e.g. my project already exists and I want to know start using
version control on it)?  Right now I have this tree:

d:\AppsData\cvsrepo
d:\AppsData\cvsrepo\CVSROOT
d:\AppsData\cvsrepo\WebHubDemos
d:\AppsData\cvsrepo\WebHubDemos\CVSROOT
d:\AppsData\cvsrepo\WebHubDemos\CVSROOT\EmptyDir
d:\AppsData\cvsrepo\WebHubDemos\CVSROOT\Source\

WebHubDemos is my practice project name.
The source folder has subfolders with files.

I have listed 2 repositories through the CVSNT control panel applet.
/AppsData/cvsrepo = d:\AppsData\cvsrepo
/AppsData/cvsrepo/WebHubDemos = d:\AppsData\cvsrepo\WebHubDemos

I have CVSROOT environment variable set to d:\AppsData\cvsrepo.

Am I on the right track in setting up these paths, files and repository
definitions, or totally lost already??

Question 3.
What is a module? What is a module list?

Question 4.
How do I encrypt a password for use with pserver? I downloaded pwgen
(windows edition) from sourceforge and it has a feature for "encrypting"
but I have no idea whether that is the same type of encryption expected by
CVSNT.

I have set up 2 users in a passwd file so far, and when I try to connect
using Tortoise CVS client, I am prompted for a login but my password is
never accepted. At this point I'm not sure whether that's due to invalid
password, invalid "module", invalid repository, or what.

Question 5.
Do I need the locking service?? It was running, and now it won't anymore,
perhaps because I set the main CVSNT service to run under a user account
other than LocalSystem. (Was that a bad idea? I thought it was a good
idea.) (I could have also broken it my creating and erasing too many
practice repositories, maybe.  )

The windows Event Viewer reports this as the locking service error:  "All
socket binds failed. "

Eh, what does that mean? As in, how do I correct this?  (and do I need to?)
(I will want to be able to lock files upon checkout, so I assume I need
this service).

Question 6.
Where are the instructions for getting sserver going?? So far I have only
founds notes that it doesn't work very well, but no instructions on how to
configure it.  For example, does it share the passwd file that applies for
use with pserver, or not?

Okay, I know this is a lot to ask... hopefully someone knowledgable has
time to answer at least some of the questions.

Thanks Very Much.

Ann