[cvsnt] Re: ERROR : cvs server: cannot add file on non-branch tag

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Jun 29 12:24:05 BST 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 01:55:02 -0700 (PDT), Shihab K B
<shihab_kb at yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am suffering from a problem in CVS while trying to
>add a new file toa branch.
>
>Situation :
>
>	Trying to add a new file to old branch. branch is
>Version_2_2
>	1. Took the branched version from cvs.
>	2. Tried to add a new file then its giging the error
>

>	cvs server: cannot add file on non-branch tag
>	But I can able to add new file to som eother folders
>of same branch.

I expect there are some files in the directory where Version_2_2 is
*not* a branch tag.  Directories themselves don't have tag information
(other than the default tag in the CVS/Tag file).  In the case where
you try to add a file to a directory and the state of the tag is
ambiguous it plays it safe (correctly, IMO).