[cvsnt] Re: CRLF Problems moving from unix CVS repositories to cvsnt reposito ries

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Jun 30 00:32:48 BST 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:48:23 +0100, paul.tilley at aspentech.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm a newbie on the list so any pointers to where I may find the solution to
>my problem would be appreciated.
>
>Problem
>
>Just moved an (I think) CVS 1.11 based repository from its dying HP unix
>host to a Windows 2000 server using cvsnt 2.0.14a by just copying over
>the whole shooting match. The files all seem to be there OK, and I can check
>out modules no bother. However, when I try to compile any of the
>projects (via GNUmake) GNUmake complains. Using files that were checked out
>from the unix repository previously seem to be OK. I'm guessing that
>the auto-magic CRLF/LF translation that must have been working previously is
>not now functioning.
>
>Previously : Client Wincvs 1.2 on a Windows machine. Server : CVS 1.11 (I
>think) on HP unix machine
>Now	      Client Wincvs 1.3/2.0.14a		         Server:  cvsnt
>2.0.14a
>
>Paul

If your build process is done on Windows then you should have CRLF
line endings both before and after the move. The client end fixes
these, it is not a server issue. The server always uses LF line
nedings on text files.
But if you checked out on Windows and then run a build on Unix (using
a Samba share for example) then you are in bad shape. Have to fix your
file handling....

The guesswork should not really have to be there though...
You should be able to verify as a fact weather or not there is a
difference in the checked out files from the old and new server by
examining the files in a hex editor. If the line endings are OK then
your problem is elsewhere.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)