[cvsnt] Re: Compressed packets ?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Mar 2 16:06:39 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:02:37 -0500, "Martin Cole"
<mj_cole_2000 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me how well the "request compression" works.
>
>Like, would it speed up the transfer of a project with many small files, or just speedup transfer of large files.

It depends on the speeds of the machines on both ends of the link, and
the speed of the link.

eg. over a dialup connection compression makes quite a bit of
difference (saving an average 50% with text files)

Over a 100MB network it's much less certain - if your server is only a
P700 or similar the time taken doing the compression may not be worth
the saving... it's quicker to let the network take the load.