[cvsnt] Re: Migrating CVS in CVSNT

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Wed Mar 10 10:12:20 GMT 2004

guastatore wrote:

> I'm using CVS single exe on my windows 2k pro pc and it works fine with
> a repository on C: root. Such as client I'm using WinCVS and BorCVS
> into Delphi IDE.

You are already using CVSNT then. You're just not using the server part
of it yet. The cvs binaries that come with WinCvs 1.3.x are those of CVSNT.

> Now I'm planning to use CVSNT to share my repository with another
> developer via Internet. Now, my questions are:
>
> 1. Have I to create another repository or CVSNT is able to see the same
> repository without any problems ?

Yes, no changes to the repository are required. All you have to do is to
install and start the CVSNT server and specify the root directory of
your repository on the CVSNT control panel's Repository Roots tab.

> 2. Which parameters Have I to modify in WinCVS (or BorCVS) to use CVSNT
> exe in place of cvs exe ?

In theory you don't have to change anything. However, as you are going
to access the repository concurrently I'd recommend to change the access
method to SSPI for your local machine as well. You could for instance
use WinCvs' Change CVSROOT macro to change the connection string for
your existing sandboxes.

> 3. Other hints that I didn't think for ?

For your remote developer you will have to create a valid Windows user
account. He should then be able to connect using SSPI with user name and
login as well (you don't need the login locally yourself). If he's not
connecting from a Windows machine, sserver might be a better choice but
it's not yet supported by current WinCvs builds.

In general I'd consider moving the repository and the CVSNT server to a
dedicated machine instead of keeping it on the same machine you work on.

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver
JID:	ogiesen at jabber.org