[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT install caused error in MS SQLSERVER startup

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Mar 16 23:53:04 GMT 2004

Al Williams wrote:

> OK - that helps.  Can I leave the server set that way (ie: what impact does
> it have) or do I need to resolve the issue further?

It should be resolved... it's a DNS misconfiguration that'll bite you eventually.
Currently all it does is stop the lockserver from identifying the client that owns the
lock, which is possible to live without I guess.

> I saw on the website the notes about reverse DNS but am unclear whether it
> is talking about a misconfiguration on the client PC or the server.  We do
> not run a DNS server on the NTserver and use MS Proxy 2.0.

Presumably there's a DNS server somewhere, unless you have everything in hosts files...
I'm not that familiar with proxy server 2.0 but I expect if it's doing DNS it'll
have a setting for reverse DNS somewhere.