[cvsnt] Re: Problem with committing a file

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Mar 17 13:20:39 GMT 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:02:26 +0000, Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>
wrote:

>Federico Grilli wrote:
>
>> When trying to commit a certain file to the repository, I get the following
>> error from CVS: "cvs [commit aborted]: could not find desired version 1.11
>> in m:\sigepro/public_html/login.jsp,v". I have cvs version 1.11.9.
>> Any idea to solve the problem?
>>
>Someone has deleted (admin -o) version 1.11, and that is what you have on your machine,
>so you're stuffed.
>
>Find out who deleted it and hit them with a rubber mallet or something...
>
>You should be able to get something back by deleting your local copy of login.jsp
>and updating (obviously you'll lose your local changes this way).
>
>Tony

Am I missing something here?
Federico says he has cvs *version* 1.11.9, not that his login.jsp file
is *revision* 1.11

I thought that there is a subtle difference between revisions (used by
CVS) and versions (used by the version resource on executables)....

So maybe the error message from cvs (if it was indeed copied/pasted by
Federico) should get an overhaul by replacing 'version' with
'revision'.
But on the other hand if it is as he says that he uses cvs *version*
1.11.9 he must be using something we don't care about anyway
(non-CVSNT)...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)