[cvsnt] delete from CVS

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Mar 17 17:03:34 GMT 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:33:59 -0500, Dn <kumar_anjaly at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thanks Bo
>
>  I am going to do that for every stub and skeleton I have in there.
>
>  I tested this with one package and it looked ok
>
>  Bo , how do I remove a sticky flag in CVSNT. I read some documents on
>how to do this using the cvs command.
>
>IM gettting sticky tag errors when I try to commit the real java programs.
>
>I am using WSAD

I know nothing about WSAD so I have to give the "raw" cvs command:

To remove a sticky tag:
cvs update -A <file(s)>

If you don't give a file name on the command cvs will recursively
apply the command on all files and folders in the current dir.

What this will do is the following:
1) If you have uncommitted changes to any file this will be saved in a
backup file with a strange name containing # at the start and end.

2) then cvs will grab the latest committed revision from the
repository and put it into your "sandbox" folder.

Now you are relocated to an editable state called HEAD from where you
are able to commit any edits you do to your files.

Question:
Why do you get the sticky tag problem in the first place?

This is because you have updated your sandbox to a previous state by
specifying a tag or a certain file revision. This state is historical
and there is already a path leading from this state to the next state,
so CVS will not allow you to commit a change from this state. The
reson is obvious, you cannot change history....
So why do you have a file copy that is not on HEAD and yet you edit
the files???

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)