[cvsnt] cvs [login aborted]: Can't authenticate - server and client cannot agree on an authentication scheme (got '')

Craig Moynes cmoynes at ca.ibm.com
Tue Mar 23 21:27:20 GMT 2004

CVSNT 2.0.34

I created a respository:
        prefix: c:/src
        root: /test

then tried the following commands:

C:\temp>set CVSROOT=:sspi:M013456:/TEST

C:\temp>cvs login
Logging in to :sspi:CMoynes at m013456:2401:/TEST
CVS password: *********
cvs [login aborted]: Can't authenticate - server and client cannot agree
on an authentication scheme (got '')

I tried telnetting to the port 2401using winXP telnet:
        I get a blinking cursor, then it returns
I tried telnetting to the port 2401 with Putty telnet:
        Network error: Software caused connection abort

If I stop the services via the control panel console, then the telnet's
don't connect.  While the services are still stopped I try...

C:\temp>cvsservice -test
CVS 2.0.34 (Mar  3 2004) starting in test mode.
TEMP/TMP currently set to C:\Program Files\cvsnt\Temp
Initialising socket...ok
Impersonation is enabled
Starting auth server on port 2401/tcp...
Socket Failed (Handle=ffffffff Family=23,Socktype=1,Protocol=6): An
address incompatible with the requested protocol was used.  (not fatal)
Registering service SPN... failed (Error 1332)
CVS initialised successfully

Any ideas how I can try and get this up and running ?

Cheers,
        Craig