[cvsnt] Re: Newbie -- CVS vs. Filesystem

Trip Kirkpatrick trip.kirkpatrick at yale.edu
Wed Mar 24 03:01:20 GMT 2004

Glen Starrett wrote:
> Trip Kirkpatrick wrote:
>
>> Example: When I edit (locally) the root file for a website and commit
>> the changes, I see the edits on my local webserver, but when I look at
>> the remote webserver, the change is not on the page. What am I missing?
>

> You need to do a "cvs update" on the other sandbox.  You can use a
> POSTCOMMIT script to help automate the distribution if you want a remote
> sandbox to be kept in sync with the repository.

It seems like you are implying that we need to have CVSNT or a CVS
client running on our staging server as well as our production
server? That doesn't seem right.

Or can CVS push files out to a directory that is (a) referred to by
its UNC name and (b) on a server that isn't running CVSNT or a CVS
client?

Sounds like what I want is a postcommit script to sync a directory
on the dev server, which directory can then be used to copy files to
staging and production.

Tk (who also thanks Aric Czarnowski for his comments)