[cvsnt] Newbie -- CVS vs. Filesystem

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Mar 24 08:03:05 GMT 2004

CVS operates between the developer and the central repository storage area.
CVS does not "push" anything out to anyone automatically.
CVS is connectionless so there is no such thing as "logged on users".
CVS can be programmed for certain actions using the administrative scripts.

So you can in fact in a way do what you want by programming the scripting
in the CVS server. To update a website the simplest way would be to have
the website run off of a checked out sandbox from cvs, because then the
script command you need is very simple, just a cd to the top folder of
the website and then a cvs update. The best script to use is postcommit.

Beware though that the CVS server runs as a service and does not necessarily
have any permissions across the network. Best place for the web server is
then on the CVSNT server PC of course...

/Bo