[cvsnt] Re: Removing Company Information from CVS Archive

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Mar 24 16:01:04 GMT 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 07:50:02 -0800, "Drew F. Sousa" <drew at wracked.com>
wrote:

>Let me start out by saying:  "I screwed up!"
>
>Innocently enough I use to use my company email address to post
>questions  to this group.  (Great group I might add)  One time I
>included an actual machine name regarding an issue I was having with
>CVS.  We are now going through security audit nightmare with the US
>Government, which I am in charge of, and I've found I can search google
>and yahoo or through the archives and find my old posts. (Of course as
>this is the whole point of keeping archives.)

That's difficult...  It's just about possible to remove stuff from the
local archives (screws up the indexing but it's doable), but all the
google/yahoo mirrors won't update for possibly months - plus there's
the other mirrors.. even Microsoft have a mirror of the cvsnt mailing
list (I forgot the address... it was some kind of 'google groups
clone' they were beta testing).

Then there's the mirrors at...

http://news-service.com
http://feedme.news.telefonica.de/
http://newsfeed.belnet.be/
http://www.surnet.ru
etc..

..and that's just from a five minute search.

So in theory it's possible, but in practical terms you're never going
to get rid of all of the copies.