[cvsnt] Re: lock server error

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Mar 24 17:30:40 GMT 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:55:28 +0100, "Markus Kuehni"
<markus.kuehni at trilab.ch> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Sometimes I get the following error.
>
>cvs export: connect to localhost(cvs.trilab.ch):2402 failed: Only one usage
>of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally
>permitted.
>cvs [export aborted]: Couldn't connect to lock server
>
>It mostly appears with large binary files. I thought it's connected to the
>AV software on the client (there's none on the server) but I still get when
>it's deactivated.

It seems to be an error from the TCP/IP stack in Win32..  Google only
shows it in relation to .net apps, and notes that the error is bogus -
it only has any meaning on the server side, not the client.

There's no known solution I can see...  Apparently it's due to the
stack holding sockets in TIME_WAIT state after they're closed for 240
seconds.  Windows has a hardcoded limit of 28000 sockets - it's quite
difficult to call 14000 CVS commands in 4 minutes, but I imagine it's
possible.

Of course if there are any other applications using TCP/IP on the
machine they will also be eating the precious sockets - and some of
them won't be as friendly (CVS only uses 2 connetions per server) so
the total limit may be a lot lower on your machine.

Check with netstat -an on the server... you'll probably see a nice
long list.  It's probably worth find out what's causing most of them
and seeing if you can reduce its socket usage.