[cvsnt] Re: ANN: ViewCvs installer updated with rcsparse fix

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Sun Mar 28 18:14:57 BST 2004

Bo Berglund wrote:
> Old line:
>          'url="%s"' % (filename, full_name, where))
>
> New line:
>          % (filename, full_name))
>
> What happened to 'url="%s"' ?? Can you just remove it without ill
> effects? I see that where is also removed, what consequences does this
> have?
>
> Since I don't really understand what is happening right there I would
> be glad if you could expand on that (provided you know of course...)

Gladly--I'll explain what I *think* is going on in there.

The "where" was used to help build the path.  IIRC, the original bug was
that CVSNT is now returning the full path to the file instead of just
the file name, so "where" is used to help build that path back up again.
  However, "where" is NOT used or even passed to in __init__.py
BinCVSRepository openfile (defined on line 90, this is the routine that
was patched).

FYI, In viewcvs.py "where" is defined (line 160):
     self.where = None      # path to file or directory in current root

Since where doesn't exist in that routine and the message that was being
output was just a warning / error, I figured it was safe to remove a
reference to data that wasn't there anyway.  It really changes the
complete output error message from:

	'The filename from co did not match. Found "%s". Wanted
"%s"<br>url="%s"'  <<with 3 parameters passed to substitute>>

to:

	'The filename from co did not match. Found "%s". Wanted "%s"<br>'
<<with 2 parameters passed to substitute>>

It's just information anyway.  Should be safe to remove.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett