[cvsnt] RE: cvsnt Digest, Vol 15, Issue 80

Gates, Donald T DONALD.T.GATES at saic.com
Tue Mar 30 18:27:31 BST 2004

Three methods come to mind to accomplish automated application installation
(there may be others).

1. Winbatch (www.winbatch.com) which I use a lot to automate Windows app
installs (to include IIS 4.0). Just about anything you can do in Windows can
be done in Winbatch. And if you are willing to pay $500, you can get the
compiler bundles it all up into an exe.

2. ScriptIt.
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winntas/downloads/scriptit.msp
x) I used this before I moved on to Winbatch. It is free but may not work
with Win2K or XP. (This application looks to be from the same codebase as
Winbatch. Perhaps WilsonWindowWare gave it to Microsoft, or vise-versa.)

3. Many Windows applications can be installed by scripting the Windows
installer. The level of control you can exert on the application varies, but
it is worth looking into, depending on your requirements.

See Windows Installer 2.0 Redistributable for Windows NT 4.0 and 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4b6140f9-2d36-4977-
8fa1-6f8a0f5dca8f&displaylang=e

and Msiexec at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=
/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/msiexec.asp

Don Gates