[cvsnt] Locking in CVS

Malcolm.Brown at reuters.com Malcolm.Brown at reuters.com
Wed Mar 31 13:43:16 BST 2004

Another thing you might look at is the use of the edit command, particularly with the -c (reserved edit)option.

At the moment I am looking at implementing a strictly temporary exclusive access environment for a group of developers (unix and PC). By placing -c in the Admin cvsrc file for both commit and edit
(ie cvsrc in the Administration files contains the following 2 lines
edit -c
commit -c
)
you can ensure that by default (ie unless clients deliberately force through edits or bypass the defaults) only one person will be able to edit the file at any one time.
I have added in another script that does a find on the "fileattr" files in the repo and checks that no file has 2 registered editors.

It is still possible to get round this process, but there will be notifications, and you can always set your notify script to forward them on to the administrator.

Having said that I am only putting this in place as a temporary measure due to the historical problems of the project. We have a concurrent task that is piloting a proper _Concurrent_ CVS system that should be employed within a couple of months.

Malc

Torsten wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>>CVS = Concurrent Version System meaning it is designed for multiple developers
>>working concurrently on the same project source.
>>
>>There are some not very strict ways of somehow simulate the locking behaviour
>>you are asking for. All of this is in the archives, go Googling and you will
>>find tons of discussions on pro-con of locking.
>>
>>If you really want strict locking then look for another source control system
>>like PVCS, ClearCase or similar (and be prepared to shelve out $$$...)
>>
>Or set the file's keyword expansion to "binary", set "watch on", and use
>TortoiseCVS exclusively as the client.
>
>Not foolproof, but works fine where I work (around 30 developers).
>
>Then again, if you think you NEED exclusive locking for text files such
>as source code you are probably mistaken.
>
>-Torsten

the views of Reuters Ltd.