[cvsnt] Re: CVS Notify error on Edit

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed May 5 10:30:40 BST 2004

Arthur Barrett wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> When using CVSNT 2.0.41 on windows 2000 sp3 (using cvs 10.8 on a Digital Unix back end) I get the following error when I try fast consecutive "cvs edit"'s on different files in a directory:
>
> cvs edit fmr01f4temp.xml
> cvs [edit aborted]: cannot open CVS/Notify: No such file or directory
>
> We have a search/replace tool that automatically runs "cvs edit" on a file before changing it, but after the first few files, these errors begin to appear.
>
> Running "cvs update" on the file fixes the problem and I can then "cvs edit" it.  I do not see a "Notify" file in the CVS directory either before or after the "cvs update"
>
> Any ideas as to the cause?  What is CVS/Notify?  Why is CVSNT client complaining about a non existant file?
>
> Please don't suggest updating the cvs server version - can't be done.

I suspect either you're trying to run multiple edit operations at the same
time (the sandbox itself has no locking so must be single threaded) or there's
an AV doing something to the Notify file (which can happen - some of them do
strange things to the file operations).

You won't normally see a Notify file - it's used as a batch file to send to
the server... non-existance of the file is not an error (other than the fact
that the edit notifications won't happen), so I suspect the error message is
misleading - translation of Win32 errors to unix errno values is sometimes
very inexact.

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>  Key ID: 104D/4F4B6917 2003-09-13
Fingerprint: 063C AFB4 3026 F724 0AA2  02B8 E547 470E 4F4B 6917