[cvsnt] Re: Possible CVS Archive corruption and how to solve

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri May 7 13:14:20 BST 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004 13:40:01 +0200, "Spilker, Jörg"
<Joerg.Spilker at AFA-LWA.Niedersachsen.de> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>we are running CVSNT 2.0.34 on a Windows NT server and cvs clients v1.11 on
>Digital Unix. We probably have some kind of archive corruption. User got the
>following message when trying to checkout a module:
>
>cvs server: duplicate key found for `y'
>
>this is the last message from the client. Further processing does not occur
>and you have to kill the client.
>
>Can i do some repair on the repository?

You can open the files in a good text editor (I use textpad) and just
have a look.  The format is very simple and it should be reasonably
obvious if the problem is a few characters.

However if (as is likely if you have disk corruption) a large section
of the file is corrupt, you'll have to restore from backups.