[cvsnt] Re: BUG when merging and removing files on branches

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri May 7 13:34:25 BST 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004 13:27:13 +0100, "Harrison, Andrew"
<andy.harrison at anite.com> wrote:

>Would it be possible to scan back up the branch and distinguish between
>actual edits and merges? If the only revisions in the branch were the result
>of merges, then the file could be safely deleted. If there were any
>revisions that were actual modification in the branch, then the result
>should be a conflict.

That wouldn't help - what if you were merging between several
different branches, for example?  All the revisions could be the
result of merges but still be needed to be kept.

>If scanning back up the branch is not possible, then the result should
>always be a conflict. I think that leaving the file 'alive' but not marked
>as a conflict is always incorrect.

As far as CVS is concerned there is no conflict (merge file into empty
file == file with no conflicts).  IIRC I looked at this and couldn't
see an easy way of making it such, but I'll look again when I get
chance (submit a feature request/bug report as I'll forget otherwise).