[cvsnt] Re: BUG when merging and removing files on branches

Kevin zzz at zzz.zzz.org
Mon May 10 07:15:40 BST 2004

"Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote in message
news:atrm905vopr2bjds8u2oh7jhunc29r44uv at 4ax.com...
> On Fri, 7 May 2004 08:20:49 +0200, "Kevin" <zzz at zzz.zzz.org> wrote:
> > cvs -q checkout -P -r branch -jHEAD module (in directory U:\)
> I'm not at all sure that is semantically valid - checkout and merge
> are normally two separate operations (you need a sandbox to merge to
> normally).  More to the point, there is no handling of such a case in
> the merge code that I can see.

I have tested with an example using update instead of checkout: *same
effect*. The file is not removed as it should.

About the syntax:

I use the syntax and it works most of the time. Shouldn't this have the same
effect as a checkout followed by a merge?

Can this syntax be supported please?

This syntax is very useful as you cannot specify a module in update. If
there were new folders added (to trunk, for example) I need to specify -d to
make sure the folders are created on the branch too. However update gets
*all* folders irrespective of the module that I have checked out. How I can
do an update + merge filtering the files by module (and getting any new
folders created for the module only)?

--
Kevin Agius