[cvsnt] Re: cvs server: connect to localhost(x.x.x):2402 failed: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted

Morten Jøhnk no.email at for.me
Tue May 11 18:07:43 BST 2004

Hi Tony - and thanks a lot for yout fast response!

After a single user runs an update of one of our main projects netstat -an
shows that there were created 781 connections (of which all are in the
TIME_WAIT state after the update) to port 2404 on localhost.

Before the update, there were no connections to 2402 so i guess all of them
came during that single update. Can i get you any info from our server to
help you diagnose this problem?

Best regards

Morten Jøhnk

"Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote in message
news:slv1a0llsct5cj3nj2c9aga5gseitq3srb at 4ax.com...
> On Tue, 11 May 2004 18:22:21 +0200, "Morten Jøhnk" <no.email at for.me>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi Tony and others
> >
> >After switching the lockserver on, we once in a while get this:
> >
> >cvs server: connect to localhost(x.x.x):2402 failed: Only one usage of
each
> >socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted
> >
> >cvs [server aborted]: Couldn't connect to lock server
> >
> >when updating.
> >
> >Server: CVSNT 2.0.41 on Windows 2003
> >Client: CVSNT using SSPI and pserver
> >
> >Any ideas - what causes this, and how to cure it?
> >
> Something's exhausting the supply of TCP/IP sockets...  it would take
> many hundreds (probably thousands) of users for lockserver to do it on
> its own, so I'd expect it's contending with something else..
>
> netstat -an should list the current state.  CVS uses one for each
> incoming connection + one for the listener, and the lockserver does
> the same.  eg. for 10 users you'd have 22 concurrent sockets.    I
> believe the limit on Win2K/XP is 3,976 sockets.
>
> Note that because of the TIME_WAIT delay you can end up using quite a
> few if you get a lot of clients connecting in quick succession...
> although I've never seen that build up very much (CVSNT uses
> SO_REUSEADDR anyway).
>
> If you're under a heavily loaded server anyway and can't find any
> other cause try increasing the number of available virtual ports by
> setting

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\MaxUse
rPort