[cvsnt] Re: cvs commit: cannot open D:/CVSServer/masterTree/.history, v: Permission denied

John Goehringer john.goehringer at agilisys.com
Fri May 14 19:26:31 BST 2004

"Joe Enfield" <joeenfield at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:c82ve8$7li$1 at paris.nodomain.org...
> Recently I merged two repositories into one.  This was done by simply
moving
> the directories that contain the *,v files.
> for example:
> Server1 had
>     D:/CVSServer/masterTree/CVSROOT
>     D:/CVSServer/masterTree/myModule1/MySubModule1/MyNextModule1
>     D:/CVSServer/masterTree/myModule2/
>
> Server2 had
>     C:/CVSServer/CVSRepo/CVSROOT
>     C:/CVSServer/CVSRepo/myServer2Module1
>     C:/CVSServer/CVSRepo/myServer2Module2
>     C:/CVSServer/CVSRepo/myServer2Module3
>
> I moved all the 'myServer2Module?'s under
> D:/CVSServer/masterTree/myModule1/MySubModule1/MyServer2Modules
> (I did not move the CVSROOT).
>
> The file commit still succeeds, but I get the error about .history,v.  It
> seems to me it should be looking in the CVSROOT directory for the
.history,v
> file.  Is there something I can do?
> Thank you,
> JoeE.
>
> (sanitized)
> In C:\mod: "C:\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-z3" "commit" "-m" "AMessage"
> "com\...\AJavaClass.java"
> CVSROOT=:pserver:aUser at 10.3.9.203:D:/CVSServer/masterTree
> cvs commit: cannot open D:/CVSServer/masterTree/.history,v: Permission
> denied
> Checking in java\com\...\AJavaClass.java;
> D:/CVSServer/masterTree/.../AJavaClass.java,v <-- AJavaClass.java
> new revision: 1.8; previous revision: 1.7
> done
> Success, CVS operation completed

Does your client machine have D: mapped as a CDROM drive?

If so, try putting a CD in the drive :).

What seems to happens to us (we have our repository on
D:/cvs also) are some cvs client operations form paths to
repository files and try to open them, on the client side.

On my work machine I moved the CD to E:, leaving D:
unmapped.

Converting the server to use the repository prefix will fix these
messages too.

HTH
John Goehringer