[cvsnt] Unable to ckeckout by tags while using sspi

Vladimir Svrkota svrkota at neobee.net
Mon May 17 22:49:45 BST 2004

Hi everybody.

I'm new to this list, and - guess what? - I have a problem. With CVSNT,
that is.

Things were great in case of local protocol. Everything worked as it
should: checkout, commit, tag, checkout by tag, branch, merge,... Since
the local protocol is useless in a LAN/team environment, the next IMHO
logical move was sspi. I've put CVSNT server (service) on an XP machine,
where the rest of the network consisted of Windows machines - 98SE, 2000
and XP. I removed simple file sharing as suggested in the docs, created
a few local users on the server (no domain) and for the moment everyone
was happy. We could all checkout, commit and tag. But - SLAP!- nobody
was able to checkout by a chosen tag, and all our dreams of getting rid
of VSS craches were broken. We all use TortoiseCVS shell extension
version 1.6.9, but it doesn't make any difference, because we all get
the same error, again and again, whether we use TortoiseCVS or cvs from
the command prompt:

cvs [server aborted]: no such tag tag1
cvs checkout: in directory .:
cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory

Error, CVS operation failed

We were only able to checkout HEAD branch/tag when using sspi protocol.
All docs I downloaded say nothing about this error. I looked into all of
"xxxyyy,v" files and all tags are in there. TortoiseCVS' history and
revision graph options also show all tags.

When I thought I couldn't be more desperate, all things mentioned above
happened again when using pserver protocol :(

Any ideas what could be wrong?

TIA.

--
Timmy... Timmy...