[cvsnt] Re: Annotate Commands?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue May 18 17:58:23 BST 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:23:52 +0100, Jay <j.javed at sherara.com> wrote:

>> Valid-responses ok error Valid-requests Checked-in Updated Merged
>> Removed M E
>> valid-requests
>> Root /
>> Argument Cinema/Browser.php
>> rannotate
>>
>OK, so I changed Root to /Repository and tried it, and removed the
>valid-requests line ('cos that returned all the valid requests) and I
>still get an error, but no error message is returned.

Valid-requests is a standard part of the protocol & should really be
sent.

The script as I posted works OK if typed in to a 'cvs server'
connection (I used it on CVSROOT/config, directly to cvs.cvsnt.org).

>I tried rannotate, and annotate, and I substituted the valid-requests
>line for the UseUnchanged, Argument -r and Argument 1.1 (all three at
>the same time, not one by one), and still I get no output.

UseUnchanged is for you're notifying file changes (for status, update,
etc.) and useless for an annotate.

>I also notice you said before to remove the first Directory command (and
>presumably, the line beneath it too). But you've not included the second
>one (Directory .). Was this on purpose or an oversight. I tried to
>include it, but it didn't change anything.

The rannotate doesn't use a directory as it has no sandbox component,
so you can use a much simpler script.  If you start sending
directories should start sending Entry lines too, otherwise the
directory is pretty meangless (it's context for storing the entries
normally).

eg. a 'normal' annotate (sent from a cvsnt client) is:

Valid-responses ok error Valid-requests Checked-in New-entry Checksum
Copy-file Updated Created Update-existing Merged Patched Rcs-diff Mode
Mod-time Removed Remove-entry Set-static-directory
Clear-static-directory Set-sticky Clear-sticky Template Notified
Module-expansion Wrapper-rcsOption Clear-rename Rename EntriesExtra M
Mbinary E F MT
valid-requests
UseUnchanged
Root /usr/local/cvs
Case
Utf8
Valid-RcsOptions bBut{ckvVlLoz
read-cvsignore
read-cvswrappers
read-cvsrc2
Argument --
Directory .
/usr/local/cvs/cvsnt
Sticky V1.1
Entry /version.h/1.1.2.2/Sat Feb 14 18:30:29 2004//TCVSNT_2_0_x
EntryExtra /version.h////
Unchanged version.h
Argument version.h
annotate

and a 'normal' rannotate is:

Valid-responses ok error Valid-requests Checked-in New-entry Checksum
Copy-file Updated Created Update-existing Merged Patched Rcs-diff Mode
Mod-time Removed Remove-entry Set-static-directory
Clear-static-directory Set-sticky Clear-sticky Template Notified
Module-expansion Wrapper-rcsOption Clear-rename Rename EntriesExtra M
Mbinary E F MT
valid-requests
UseUnchanged
Root /usr/local/cvs
Case
Utf8
Valid-RcsOptions bBut{ckvVlLoz
read-cvsignore
read-cvswrappers
read-cvsrc2
Argument --
Argument cvsnt/version.h
rannotate

A lot of that is state information... everything between Case and
read-cvsrc2 is pretty optional.  The rest is needed for the command.
Unless you're holding state information about the file it's best to
use rannotate.