[cvsnt] Alias modules, branching and merging.

Simon Kirk simon.kirk at voxsurf.com
Wed May 19 13:29:52 BST 2004

Hi all.

I am currently involved with testing how cvs (specifically cvsnt) handles
branching with respect to alias modules. There seems to be a problem with
moving between branches, and I suspect it maybe a cvs problem (or
limitation) rather than anything specific to cvsnt. However I need to make
sure. Could anybody help me make sense of this?

I have an alias module 'foo' defined in the modules file that comprises of
two java source directory structures (and one excluded structure) all from
another module, 'bar'. The module 'bar' is simply a file system on the
repository.

So if bar is like this (assuming we're in the repository root directory):

bar/dir1/file1
bar/dir1/file2
bar/dir2/file3
bar/dir3/file4

Then in the modules file I have defined foo as:

foo -a bar/dir1 bar/dir2 !bar/dir3

If I check out foo, I get this:

bar/dir1/file1
bar/dir1/file2
bar/dir2/file3

So far so good, all fairly strightforward I hope! I then create a branch
'foo_branch_1' on module foo from the door directory.

The problem now arises if I try to get the HEAD state of foo back (ie the
version I checked out originally). Both updating and removing sticky tags,
etc, or updating to the HEAD branch will bring back 'bar/dir3/file4' as well
as the other files - which isn't what I want.

Can anybody tell me where I'm going wrong? Should I try using the modules2
file to get around this kind of problem?

All help gratefully recieved.

Cheers,
Simon
simon.kirk at voxsurf.com