[cvsnt] Re: Another newbie question: numeric ip address

Matt Epstein matt at fortissoftware.com
Tue Nov 2 20:52:17 GMT 2004

Hi Dave,

I just got my remote access working recently over :sserver. I couldn't use
:sspi unless I VPNed to our corporate network. However, I am using my domain
account to authenticate because aliased my domain account into the passwd
file using:

cvs passwd -a -D <domain name> <real account name>

 So you should be ok over sserver regardless of whether you use a cvs
username or a domain username.

Regarding the servername issue, I was initially able to connect by
hardcoding my server's name into my hosts file along with the public IP
address I need to use to hit it from remote location. That way my CVSROOT is
exactly the same as it is when I am local to the server, but the system
would resolve it to the public IP address that I needed to use from remote
location.

Eventually we ended up registering the server in DNS so that the name would
resolve to the correct IP address so now I just use cvsserver.mydomain.com
as my servername in CVSROOT.

I hope that helps a little.

-matt

<david.arendash at manyone.net> wrote in message
news:mailman.2403.1099426662.21094.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...
> So I finally got CVSNT + Tortoise working for me on my LAN,
> where I can specify the computer's name as the server name,
> ex: :sspi:CVSserver:/cvsnt/archive
>
> and connect, since I have the same user/password on both client
> and server.
>
> Now I want to access remotely. I opened ports 2401 and 2402 in my
> firewall to that servermachine. I can obtain the mostly-static IP
> address. But when I go remote, I only know (for example):
>
> :sspi:123.321.255.64:/cvsnt/archive
>
> In other words, no domain or machine name.
>
> Suggestions? Would a different protocol work? I tried ext and sspi
> and pserver, they all fail, generally saying 'server actively rejected
> access'
>
> Thanks
> Dave A
>
> "Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never
were and say "Why not?" -- Robert Francis Kennedy