[cvsnt] Unusual branching / merging problem

Harrison, Andrew andy.harrison at anite.com
Wed Nov 10 15:06:43 GMT 2004

Hi,

I've got an unusual problem with our repository. All our development is done
on branches, which are then merged back into the trunk when they are
complete. Some users have been having merge problems, and looking at the RCS
logs it seems like something like the following has happened:

	User1 creates Branch-1 and starts major development.

	At some point later, User2 creates Branch-2 and the changes include
the addition of a file "newfile" rev 1.1.2.1.
	Branch-2 gets merged into the trunk, newfile now at rev 1.2.

	Later still, User3 creates Branch-3 and the changes include a change
to "newfile" -> rev 1.2.x.1.
	Branch-3 gets merged into the trunk, newfile now at rev 1.3.

	User1 has now completed his work, but want to test it with the
latest trunk changes first, so merges the trunk into his branch.
	The resulting revision of newfile on Branch-1 has revision number
1.3.x.1, has a mergepoint of 1.3, but contains the same data as revision
1.2.

I have tried to recreate this in a test repository but have been unable to
do so. Has anyone else seen anything similar to this, or have any idea what
has happened?

We're using CVS-NT server 2.0.41.

Thanks,
Andy

--
Andy Harrison - Platform Software Engineer
Anite Telecoms Ltd. 127 Fleet Road, Fleet, Hampshire, GU51 3QN, UK

Scanned for viruses by MessageLabs. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed. This email is intended for the named recipient only, and may contain confidential information and proprietary material. Any unauthorised use or disclosure is prohibited.