[cvsnt] Re: offline folder can't be updated when offline, even though server online

David Holmes dholmes at --remove-this-part-dltech.com.au
Fri Nov 12 06:39:59 GMT 2004

"Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote in message
news:cn0uhu$b73$1 at paris.nodomain.org...
> David Holmes wrote:
> > would be like saying that I can't do a checkout onto a NFS mounted drive
in
> > Unix). The only problem I have is that if the network share is operating
in

> You can't.  It has exactly the same problems (except worse, as NFS will
> actually cause corruption on some platforms if you try it).

Tony, from what I've read the problems with NFS & CVS tend to occur when
either:

a) the cvs server accesses the repository via NFS; or
b) the client accesses the CVSROOT directly via NFS

and (a) seems more likely to cause problems than (b) . (If you are getting
NFS corruption between a particular client and server then you're likely to
experience it with many applications, not just cvs.)

Stating that use of a network drive (whether NFS or windows share) as a
place to hold your local checkout, when the cvs server is accessed via
:ext: or :pserver: or :ssh:, seems to be overstating the potential risk. Yes
there is added risk because a network does introduce additional failure
modes, but this seems to be throwing the "baby out with the bath water". As
I said in response to Bo, if things were this bad noone would use network
shares for anything.

In my case everything works fine, except when the windows share is in
offline mode. This seems specific to windows shares rather than being a
"networked drive" issue. I have seen other applications that get confused
when they access an offline share - eg. File Choose dialogs don't show the
right information. And my suspicion is that in offline mode some
file/directory/disk API methods don't return sensible information, leading
to the application getting confused, or reporting an error - but I don't
program win32 so I'm not in a position to verify that.

I can appreciate that from your perspective, it is easier to exclude this
mode of operation, rather than trying to establish exactly what permutations
of the use of network drives are "ok" and which are not.

Cheers,
David Holmes