[cvsnt] Re: Unicode Filenames from linux cvs server are transfered as ANSI to Windows

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Nov 15 11:44:04 GMT 2004

Dietrich Schmidt wrote:
> Let me summarize (I am still unhappy with the situation):
> Using :ssh: from Linux to Linux works, both using Unicode.

Linux uses UTF-8, which is a specific Unicode encoding.

> Windows XP is using Unicode, but WinXP to Linux is not working.

XP Uses UCS-2 (aka. UTF-16), and does not support UTF-8.

> Why can't I configure cvsnt to work completely in Unicode?

It's not a CVSNT problem, it's a character set problem.

Unicode on NT is a 16-bit encoding which is not useful for data
transmission to Unix machines.  The only 8-bit encodings that NT
supports are ANSI, which means you have to set the Linux machines to
the same ANSI codepage that the NT machine is using.

The alternative is to run cvsnt on the Linux machine.