[cvsnt] Re: branches and merging

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Nov 16 16:52:49 GMT 2004

Prochazka, Jan wrote:
> It is probably fine for CVS, as only diff is stored but it is quite
> (very) confusing for users, when they try to figure out what was
> changed and why (we  have more then 1000 files)

If you merge a changed file it stores a mergepoint.  When you merge
another branch you have to store that mergepoint.  It's just a
side-effect of merging multiple branches... you can't really avoid it.

> Does anybody have any advice how to prevent that ?

It's recording a real change - that the branch has been merged.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Most people have a single development branch - having multiple
development branches has other issues (such as developers doing
conflicting changes and being unable to merge them).