[cvsnt] CVSNT & File Permissions

Richard Dje richard.dje at takasic.fr
Thu Nov 18 09:55:21 GMT 2004

Hello,

We have installed CVSNT 2.0.49 on a W2K Server machine. I am the
administrator of the repository.

1. The issue we're having is that when several users access the same
cvsmodule, say 'Mymodule',  (not at the same time), the first doing either a COMMIT or TAG
on tag 'Mymodule', just prevent others users from Commiting in or Tagging 'Mymodule'.

Before doing all these tries, we took care of defining a group for those users and
giving that group 'rwx' access to 'Mymodule'.

What is weird is that permissions of directories under 'Mymodule' are
not changed, only files' permission are modified from 'rwx' to 'r-x'.

The kind of message we're receiving for a 'Commit' is as follows:
/takhard/justforfun/sources/my-module/myfile.v,v  <--  myfile.v
cvs server: cannot change mode of file /takhard/justforfun/sources/my-module/myfile.v,v: Permission denied
cvs [server aborted]: cannot rename file /takhard/justforfun/sources/my-module/,myfile.v, to /takhard/justforfun/sources/my-module/,myfile.v,: Permission denied
cvs commit: shutting down buffer from server: Connection reset by peer

I tried to installed CVSNT 2.0.58d, but this one exhibit others weird
behaviour.

2. Another question is there a Changelog for each CVSNT release. Because i
don't know which version to install that doesn't have the above
behaviour.

3. Last question,
With release 2.0.49, if we do a *cvs tag TAGValue mycvsmodule*.
Retrieving *TAGValue*, just after Tagging, takes a very, very long time,
between 5 and 10 minutes, and not on all cvsmodule.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
-Richard