[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT & File Permissions

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Nov 18 14:32:18 GMT 2004

Oliver Giesen wrote:
> Unfortunately, apart from your continually stating this, this is not
> really the impression I get from following the discussions here. Add to
> that the fact that AFAICT changes between 2.0.51d and 2.0.58 were quite
> more fundamental than in earlier releases...

Not really, code-wise.  2.0.51 was a much larger change internally.

> Now, AFAIHU fileattr gets (re)written as soon as I add or import files
> or even just do something as simple as Edit, so there's pretty much no
> way to delay "using" this new feature until it's proven ultimately
> stable. In this case, this effectively renders my repository no longer
> backward compatible to older versions of the server. So, in case any
> more serious issues crop up with the release (the potential is always
> there as you will have to admit) I will no longer be able to go back to
> an earlier release.

Unless you're actually using fileattr it doesn't really matter.  The
ACLs have some issues but that's minor stuff and as you say you don't
need to use them.  Edit/unedit work fine...

> Or is my assessment utterly incorrect here? Have you left open a
> "downgrade path" for the fileattr stuff?

Downgrading works - you just lose any edit states, but that's not
normally an issue unless you're using edits a lot.

I'm assuming you're not upgrading a live server anyway... I'd never
recommend someone doing that in one jump - always run the stuff on a
test server to make sure it works well enough for your uses first.

> Another factor which strengthens this sentiment is that there *do*
> appear to be an increased number of reports about permissions and other
> problems (however minor) with post-2.0.51d builds recently...

There were problems up to 2.0.58c with the permissions, which I solved
by basically slowing it down a bit for 2.0.58d.  2.0.6x has a completely
rewritten file access backend so I can control what's going on (plus it
uses fewer steps to achieve the same thing).

I probably need to do another 2.0.6x point release in the next few days
anyway before I really start to change things (the fix for rename needs
some quite fundamental work).  There's some other stuff to do first though.