[cvsnt] Pruning script for binary files (Perl)

Czarnowski, Aric aczarnowski at unimax.com
Thu Nov 18 21:33:02 GMT 2004

A while back somebody posted a question about pruning revisions out of
binary files.  Admin -o works fine for this but we do it often enough at
my company that I wrote the attached script to do it.

In our case we have LISP sources which create several binaries.  But we
also commit each binary so that we don't have to pay for and setup build
tooling to create it from scratch each night.  I'd prefer to build from
sources but the LISP environment we use makes that expensive and there's
political pressure to just leave it alone.  I'm sure others have similar
circumstances.  <g>

So we can build a binary at any point in the revision cycle from sources
if we must and therefore the intermediary binaries themselves are just
clutter during day to day operations.  To increase performance we delete
all revisions that are:

1) Not the tip
2) Not on a branch or tagged

So only the trunk gets cleaned up but we don't have really active
branches so this works to reduce our archive sizes.  If you have long,
active branches this might not work all that well for you (but will
still help).

Anyway, here it is.  POD documentation is accurate and there are a
couple command line options that you can get using --help.  If there's
someplace formal I can contribute this to the community and somebody
thinks it's helpful let me know and I'll do that.  Hopefully I didn't
just reinvent the wheel.

--Aric

Aric Czarnowski
Unimax Systems Corporation