[cvsnt] Re: Zombie processes

Pat Galea wlist at dudegalea.co.uk
Mon Nov 22 14:53:20 GMT 2004

Pat Galea wrote:

> I've done some more experiments on a local repository regarding my
> zombie process problem.
>
> It appears that cvs (2.0.51d) is crashing whenever I perform a "cvs
> status -v" on a path containing more than one "../".

Update: it also occurs with "cvs tag" on a path containing more than one
"../".

I've got a workaround for the problem. I've written a little program
called "relcmd" (short for "relative command"). You supply it with the
command you really want to run, and relcmd scans the argument list
looking for the first argument that starts with "../". It moves up a
directory for each "../" it finds at the start of that path, and strips
all instances of "../" from the front of the path. Then it runs the
supplied command from the higher-level directory that it's now in, so
that cvs itself doesn't ever see the "../" path.

As all the cvs commands that are causing the problem for us are within
generated build scripts, it's a lot easier to stick "relcmd" in front of
each cvs call than it would be to change the scripts not to use "../" paths.

It's not a perfect solution, but it does prevent the cvs crashes that
are leaving behind zombie processes.

pg

--
Pat Galea