[cvsnt] Re: CVS slower after upgrade...

nick.minutello at uk.bnpparibas.com nick.minutello at uk.bnpparibas.com
Wed Nov 24 11:23:22 GMT 2004

>> WTF???  4 full updates every 60 seconds? That'll be murdering your
>> performance.

I have to confirm exactly what CruiseControl is running - it might not be
update (it might be worse :-)
My point is that these were running *before* our upgrade - and update
performance was fine by comparison.

We are talking about command-line updates (for the same module) going from
20 seconds to 3 minutes as a result of our upgrade!

I need to work out why that is.

We have had *more* CruiseControl instances running every 60s against
regular cvs on linux and had no perf problems at all (hence my other
questions on linux vs windows perf  / cvs vs cvsnt perf)

>> Make sure you're using lockserver which will reduce the locking hits
>> (that's not a cure though).
I thought that was the default on cvsnt 2.x
We have the lock server running. Is there something else we need to do?

>> Slow them down to a couple of times an hour.  I wouldn't even attempt an
>> update schedule like that more than every 15 minutes.
We have to have them running more frequent than that. We do a full
build/test every time there is a checkin (we know within minutes of
breaking the build/tests)

We can take steps to reduce the cruisecontrol load - but I have to come up
with an answer why the perf dropped so dramatically after our upgrade.

Thanks,
-Nick

Internet
tmh at nodomain.org@cvsnt.org - 24/11/2004 01:26