[cvsnt] Re: CVS slower after upgrade...

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Nov 24 13:03:28 GMT 2004

nick.minutello at uk.bnpparibas.com wrote:
> We are talking about command-line updates (for the same module) going from
> 20 seconds to 3 minutes as a result of our upgrade!

It's pretty much always one of:
1. AV 'realtime' scanning (sounds like a prime candidate from those figures)
2. Dodgy connection to the PDC/ADC (this wouldn't have such a major
effect though... it would slow certain operations)
3. DNS (affects startup)
4. Broken Hub/Switch on network (rare, but it happens).

> We have had *more* CruiseControl instances running every 60s against
> regular cvs on linux and had no perf problems at all (hence my other
> questions on linux vs windows perf  / cvs vs cvsnt perf)

Linux is far better at managing that kind of situation, in my experience
- it's much fairer in the way it hands out CPU time.

>>>Make sure you're using lockserver which will reduce the locking hits
>>>(that's not a cure though).
>
> I thought that was the default on cvsnt 2.x
> We have the lock server running. Is there something else we need to do?

It should be OK if you've not disabled it.

> We have to have them running more frequent than that. We do a full
> build/test every time there is a checkin (we know within minutes of
> breaking the build/tests)

Why not do the update on postcommit?  Polling like that is really
inneficient unless you really are committing major updates every few
seconds.

> We can take steps to reduce the cruisecontrol load - but I have to come up
> with an answer why the perf dropped so dramatically after our upgrade.

There will probably be differences but I wouldn't expect them to be too
bad... maybe noticeable if you jump suddenly from one to the other.