[cvsnt] Re: How to convert binary files to text?

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Thu Nov 25 14:13:09 GMT 2004

Concerning the version:
C:\3RProj\MP\SrvMillPlus>cvs ver
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.41a (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.41 (client/server)

Is this too old?

I tested the following sequence:
1) Deleted file in the sandbox and updated. I received a file marked
   as binary but with good Windows CRLF line endings (because the
   file was actually already converted by the Delphi IDE but still
   stored as binary)

2) Issued cvs update -kt <filename>
   This caused WinCvs to change the icon from binary to text but the
   file actually did not change color (so it was not considered as altered)

3) I opened the file in UltraEdit and found that all line endings are
   now CRCRLF. So it looks like the local file now got all ofg its LF
   chars epanded to CRLF while retaining the existing CR...

4) It was not possible to commit this file because it was not modified.
   I tried a commit anyway but it resulted in nothing.
   If I use commit -f will then the extra CR chars be removed or will
   these be retained?

5) Now I deleted the file in the sandbox again and did an update and
   got back the original binary file also marked as such in WinCvs.

What am I doing wrong here?
Maybe it is not possible to change the file type if it has been changed
physically already but committed still as binary???

Bo