[cvsnt] Re: Synchronizing two CVS servers

mada no.spam at no.spam.org
Tue Nov 30 20:42:11 GMT 2004

> Yes, it is possible to have several working file sets (aka sandboxes)
> on different computers (or even on the same computer). This is what
> CVS was built for, really...

I'm glad about that :) As I keep using cvs the past few days for some
experimenting before the actual import of my data (cvsnt with command line
and sometimes TortoiseCVS shell extensions, which I find quite useful and
handy) I find it more and more easy and straightforward to use. No matter
the difficulties in exchanging data between two computers, I'll give it a
go.

> This would in theory reduce the network traffic, but in practice,
> since there are no way to send binary file updates as deltas, you will
> still be stuck with transferring the whole file in an update or commit
> if it is binary (which affects all of the fie types you listed).

Well, this is true... However, my binary files are mostly papers in .pdf or
.ps formats, some pictures and some sound files, which I do not change but
just add, move or delete. So I guess I could do these jobs manually at the
workspace at home. In any case, it looks better to transfer, say, 30 megs in
10 files over the phone, than 1.3 gig in approx. 10K files.

My regular work involves a max two-digit count of files, so I guess there
shouldn't be any problem. These are mostly text files, consisting of code
and text. Naturally, I'm not talking about execuables here.

> If the files had been ordinary text source files then updates and
> commits would only send small amounts of data over the network. But
> CVS cannot handle non-text files this way.

I hope msoffice files are handled as text files, though! Otherwise I'll
start taking my notes and writing my texts in HTML :)))))))

> /Bo
> (Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)

Thanx a very lot for your reply :)

mada
(madanasta, developer/researcher in Greece)