FW: [cvsnt] Re: Regresssion and branches in the current sand box?

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Sun Oct 3 01:34:04 BST 2004

Is HEAD a keyword in the cvs update -j commands? I don't see this in
the documentation. What does HEAD mean when used with the "cvs update
-j".

>Siegfried Heintze wrote:
>> Is it necessary to checkout a second sandbox for the trunk (as
recommended
>> in the OReilly book) so I can add revisions to both the branch and the
trunk
>> without merging them or replacing one with the other?
>>
>> Apparently, if you want to merge or override changes immediately, one can
>> use the update command. It seems that both the -j and the -r for the
update
>> command want to merge changes all the time.
>>
>> I want to keep the trunk and branches separate for a few revisions before
>> merge them. Is it possible to do this with a single sandbox? I suspect
not.

>It depends on how you want to work with them.  Both at the same time?

Yes.

>One at a time?

No.

>Personally I have one sandbox for my "current prod" (e.g. stable, might
>get small patches) and one for "HEAD" (development).  When I get my dev
>stabilized and am ready to post it to production, I can delete my old
>"prod" sandbox.  When I have to fix something in production, I fix it on
>the prod branch and merge the change into DEV once it's complete and
>tested (typically about the same time it hits production).
>
>Working from a single sandbox works too.  It's especially useful when
>you have a large number of files that are the same or very large sandbox
>that you don't want 2 copies of.

How do I use a single sandbox to alternately add revisions to a trunk
and branch without merging them? Whenever I use update to get the most
recent version a branch and then I try to commit it, it complains!

To recover I have to do "cvs up -A" (and loose the branch copy) and I
don't get to update the branch.

Thanks,
   Siegfried