[cvsnt] Where to read on ssh and ssh1 used by cvsnt?

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Tue Oct 5 23:59:58 BST 2004

Hey -- I'm impressed. I just tried out the directions in Bo's installation
tips and guess what! It worked!

$ /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/cvsnt/cvs
-d:ssh:Sieglinde at 192.168.0.201:/CVSSermonClips login

$ /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/cvsnt/cvs
-d:ssh:Sieglinde at 192.168.0.201:/CVSSermonClips ls -R

However, I got some strange messages from ssh concerning security.
Unfortunately, it scrolled off my Cygwin session so I cannot quote it
exactly. It was something about not being sure that 192.168.0.201 was the
computer I thought it was and there was no key and did I want to try it just
this once or trust it in the future etc...

Where can I read more about this? Whose implementation of ssh are we using
here? Am I using the ssh that comes with Cygwin or an implementation built
into cvsnt? I have both the Cygwin ssh and the cvsnt installed on both
machines. I thought I had to install ssh before I could use it with cvsnt.
Now I wish I had tried ssh before installing the Cygwin sshd server so I
would know which software was doing the work.

I also noticed that it did not work with the Siegfried account -- perhaps
because there was a zero length password? But my daughter's account worked.
Apparently both SSH and CVSNT are using NT accounts. (Cygwin also has a
/etc/password file and if cvsnt was using the Cygwin ssh).

I guess the problem is that there is no verisign certificate server. Is
there anyway to be sure that the computer is the computer I think it is
without paying for ssl?

Now there was an earlier email message about how someone had broken ssh1 but
not ssh. I guess I'm using ssh so that means I'm using a cipher that no one
has broken yet?

I already posted a query concerning Bo's installation tips and absence of
documentation of ext and CVS_RSH. No response yet.

Thanks,
   Siegfried