[cvsnt] Re: rcsdiff -q

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Oct 13 00:12:06 BST 2004

Matthew Heaney wrote:
> The rcsdiff.exe in your latest distribution (cvsnt-2.0.58a) doesn't
> support the -q switch.  This appears to be a bug.

btw. This has been unsupported since CVS 1.9 (even earlier, in fact),
and from the comments is a lot more work than 'simply' adding a switch
(not also that the diff output is not RCS compatible - the date format
is GNU diff format not RCS format - ViewCVS copes with this).

 From the source:

/* CVS 1.9 and similar versions seemed to have pretty weird handling
    of -y and -T.  In the cases where it called rcsdiff,
    they would have the meanings mentioned below.  In the cases where it
    called diff, they would have the meanings mentioned in "longopts".
    Noone seems to have missed them, so I think the right thing to do is
    just to remove the options altogether (which I have done).

    In the case of -z and -q, "cvs diff" did not accept them even back
    when we called rcsdiff (at least, it hasn't accepted them
    recently).

    In comparing rcsdiff to the new CVS implementation, I noticed that
    the following rcsdiff flags are not handled by CVS diff:

	   -y: perform diff even when the requested revisions are the
		   same revision number
	   -q: run quietly
	   -T: preserve modification time on the RCS file
	   -z: specify timezone for use in file labels

    I think these are not really relevant.  -y is undocumented even in
    RCS 5.7, and seems like a minor change at best.  According to RCS
    documentation, -T only applies when a RCS file has been modified
    because of lock changes; doesn't CVS sidestep RCS's entire lock
    structure?  -z seems to be unsupported by CVS diff, and has a
    different meaning as a global option anyway.  (Adding it could be
    a feature, but if it is left out for now, it should not break
    anything.)  For the purposes of producing output, CVS diff appears
    mostly to ignore -q.  Maybe this should be fixed, but I think it's
    a larger issue than the changes included here.  */