[cvsnt] Update does not support 'per-file' tags/branches?

Joe Enfield joeenfield at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 18 14:07:05 BST 2004

I don't know if this is a Tortoise problem, a CVS problem, or if I was
exploiting a bug in a previous release.
Previously our server was 1.11.3 build 57a, or something like that.
we have updated to 2.0.58a
clients are at least 2.0.41
Tortoise version used is 1.8.1

I am working on a branch, and a branch of that branch.
------------trunk
      \-------branch1
          \-----branch2

my source code looks something like this:
com/company/dir1/file1.java  (stickytag: branch1)
com/company/dir1/fileN.java  (stickytag: branch1)
com/company/dir1/dir2/file1.java  (stickytag: branch2)
com/company/dir1/dir2/fileN.java  (stickytag: branch2)
com/company/dir1/dir3/file1.java  (stickytag: branch1)
com/company/dir1/dir3/fileN.java  (stickytag: branch1)
etc...

I did this by updating just dir2 with branch2.

However, when I do a cvs update at the company level, all sticky tags are
reverted to branch1.

Tortoise does this:
"C:\apps\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-z9" "-x" "update" "-d" "-P" "."

I tried this from the command line in the /com directory - with the same
behavior:
cvs -z9 -x update -P

Is this normal behavior?

Thank you,