[cvsnt] Synchronize source code with database?

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Tue Oct 19 08:55:16 BST 2004

I'd do as follows:
- Put the database into a zipfile, mdb files compress well
- Put the zipfile into a subfolder all by itself in the project module
- Add and commit it so it is in the repository
- Whenever you do change the structure of the database, then pull the
  old mdb file out of the zip, do the changes and put it back in.
- Then commit the zipfile
This way the database will be in the repository for safe keeping and the
file will not be changed in daily use so it will not be autocommitted either.

We do it in a different way ourselves since we moved away from Access, but
for Access databases we keep the one that is used for our distributions in
a separate folder in CVS (not zipped though). This is what we update when
needed and this is where the setup engine gets the database from.

With SQL-Server we do it differently. Here we have moved to a sql script
that creates the database on the target system. This script is purely
text and so it can be easily versioned in CVS. The big advantage here is
that it is possible to diff versions against each other and see what was
going on when we did a particular database modification.
We update this script manually (do not use the SQL automatic scripting
function!) so wa can keep a good control over where items are done and also
the naming system is under control.

/Bo