[cvsnt] Re: Beginner Question

user at domain.invalid user at domain.invalid
Tue Oct 26 13:21:19 BST 2004

> 1. I added a directory in [service control panel] - [Repositories], do I
> have to set environment CSVROOT?

This is your repository root. All of your modules have to be within a
repository. You have to set here the folder that will be the repository
root, "subfolders" will be created through CVS when you import or add.
Once you set the root, the repository has to be managed through CVS. The
environment variable CVSROOT is used to tell CVS "client" the default
connection string to the CVS "server". The problem is CVS uses the
"CVSROOT" name for too many things...

>      a. what does "Run as User" use  for ?
It's the account CVS will use to perform its operations

> 4. How do I add  CVSNT user ? in CVSNT documentation only explain in UNIX
> environment. PS. CVSNT documentation from CVSNT installation

Depends on what protocol you are using. You can add user to the passwd
files with cvs passwd, but you have to understand the config files
settings for authentication too, if you want to use OS authentication.

>     host address : 172.22.6.21    -----> this my ip address

This should be the CVSNT server IP address, not the client.

>     username : administrator     ------>  I thought it use Windows login, so

The availability of Windows logins depends on the config files settings

> ? but why if change the path to C:/Project can not login ?

Remember that any operation has to be done *within* the repository.
Think the repository as some sort of "database" where each file history
is kept. CVSNT stores data as files using the file system, other (i.e.
Subversion) store data in a real database, but the metaphor is always
the same. In the CVSROOT (connection) string, you have to tell CVS which
is the repository "root" you want to connect to (you are allowed to
create more than one repository on the same server)