[cvsnt] How do I commit again after using cvs update -r pre-bookmark?

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Sat Oct 30 00:11:16 BST 2004

I'm using CVSNT with the Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 integrated development
environment (IDE).

I was adding a feature called bookmarks to my project and it seemed to be
working. I left the project running the debugger. When I sat down today to
add a debuglog feature I noticed I was still in the debugger from the
previous session. This indicates that what I was doing had compiled
successfully.

I added some C++ to open a file and record what functions I was calling. I
went into the project settings to change the preprocessor macros to add a
macro called DEBUG_LOG_FILE. I was anticipating that the IDE would use /D
DEBUG_LOG_FILE. I presume Microsoft saves this in a file with an extension
of SLN.

Nothing would compile. So I remove all the changes I made. It still won't
compile. I use cvs -r 1.3  -p >headerfile.h. No luck. I try 1.2. No luck. I
try 1.1. No luck.

Hmm.. I create a new sand box. That won't compile. I update with sandbox to
use the latest tag I had created. No luck. I regress again to the tag called
pre-bookmark. This time it compiles! Hurray!

I don't have my bookmark feature how. I have the bookmarks implemented in
the other sand box that won't compile. THE BOOKMARKS WERE COMPILING
YESTERDAY! I must have done something terrible to one of those proprietary
IDE files that hold the compiler settings. I still don't understand why I
had to regress two tags on my main trunk!

So now what do I do? In the sandbox that compiles, can I create a new branch
and add the bookmark feature again?

Whenever I have used the cvs update -r command, it will never let me commit
unless I do cvs update -A first to get the latest changes. I don't want the
latest changes. What can I do?

   Thanks,

           Siegfried