[cvsnt] Re: Starting out with CVS,

Luigi D. Sandon cp at sandon.it
Sat Oct 30 19:04:25 BST 2004

> I am confused on how the dir c:\cvsrepo relates to my web site files which
> are in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\mysite

c:\cvsrepo is the repository. Think it as a "database" were all changes to a
file are recorded. The repository *can't* and *must not* used for anything
but to store the files and their histories. Files are recorded in RCS format
(which stores all file changes, not only the file)  and usually can't be
used as they are.

Usually, the way to use CVS is:

1) File are imported and stored in the repository (import).
2) Files are "checked out" locally in a "sandbox", or "working directory",
where they can be changed. CVS will create some CVS subdirs where it stores
some control files.
3) Changed files are "commited" (stored) to the repository, and new version
can be retrieved via the "update" command.
4) Whenever a version need to be retrieved from the repository without
creating a "sandbox", the "export" command can be used. It works like
checkout, but does not create the CVS control subfolders.

Therefore, you should work this way:

1) The web sites files are imported into the repository from your source
dir.
2) Every developer will check out a local copy in his working directory. I
don't know how you work, if every developer works in his own working
directory (I hope so), or they work in a shared one. They will update to see
other changes, and commit their own changes.
3) To deploy a new release of the website, export the the release you want
from the repository to your web site folder (c:\inetpub\wwwroot\mysite)

--
Luigi D. Sandon
cp at sandon.it