[cvsnt] Global option -F works

Jerzy Kaczorowski jerzyk at wndtabs.com
Thu Sep 2 06:22:38 BST 2004

Tony,

I was trying to use the -F global option to allow a really long command line
to be used with cvsgui protocol.

It claims:
-F file
Read the contents of file and append it to the supplied command line.
Arguments are separated by whitespace, and follow normal quoting rules.

The it works now it requires that the only cvs command (e.g. update, add)
and it's options is given in the file but not other global options.

So I can't create file containing full command line and then do a simple
"cvs -F command.txt" where the command.txt would contain "-z5 -n update
somefile". I would have to do a call like that "cvs -z5 -n -F command.txt"
and the command.txt would then contain "update somefile".

Looking at the code it seems that it reads all the global options and if it
finds -F it sets the append_file variable which is checked after the parsing
and file is appended but expecting it to be starting with cvs command.To
make it working as expected - to actually append the command line in it's
full - it would have to append the file contents inside the options scanning
loop and continue parsing it as if it were passed from the command line or
alternatively it would have to append the file before it even gets inside
the global options parsing.

I would really aprreciate if -F options allowed to append full command
line - current implementation would require the cvsgui protocol to undestand
where the actual cvs command begins so it would insert the -F and the file
name in the right place.

Best Regards,
Jerzy